Friday, November 5, 2010

Creamy cous-cous with spinach and smoked gouda (a new twist on classic bbq sides)

Makes 2 large servings
Takes about 10 minutes
Serve with salmon, beef, chicken, or pork seasoned with bbq rub or bbq sauce
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat cous-cous (Trader Joe's)
  • 1/2 lb. chopped frozen spinach 
  • Tbsp. buttery spread
  • 2 slices smoked gouda cheese, chopped
If you just want the recipe, skip to the bottom, because first I'm going to tell you a secret about making low budget food seem fancy. I think that a lot of the food we call "gourmet" is usually a riff on something familiar with the addition of one special or unexpected ingredient. Add two slices of smoked gouda, and instantly, a pedestrian meal of baked fish with cous cous and frozen spinach becomes a flavorful, inventive meal you'd be proud to serve to guests. Now I have another secret to divulge: I have a thing for side dishes. They're often my inspiration for meals. Sometimes, at restaurants, I order a menu item just for the side it comes with. At home, I make a jazzed up side dish for dinner and throw in some protein "on the side", so to speak. According to the experts, we Americans tend to eat a lot more protein than we need anyhow.

This dish was inspired by risotto, one of my all time favorite sides, and barbecue. Yes, you read me right. I wanted it to have a creamy feel and stick-to-your-ribs texture similar to rizotto, with flavors that would complement my bbq rubbed salmon. The fresh flavor of spinach brightens up the pasta and cheese in this dish to give it a zing!
Start by boiling 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan with the buttery spread, or your preferred brand of oil or butter. Turn the heat down to low, stir in the cous-cous, and cover the pan. Once it has absorbed the water (this only takes about 2 minutes), dump in the frozen spinach and cover again until the spinach has thawed. Stir in the cheese, adding a little water if it becomes too sticky to stir. I served it alongside salmon seasoned with the Pampered Chef's bbq rub, which baked while I was cooking it. Dinner in 20 minutes, yesss.

2 comments: